Understanding strictness of ghc output

Carsten Schultz carsten at codimi.de
Tue Jun 22 10:44:36 EDT 2004

On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 03:37:01PM +0100, Simon Marlow wrote:
> If there's a Haskell implementation that compiles addHeight in such a
> way that addHeight _|_ e  /=  _|_, then I'd say it was wrong (but we
> don't have an official denotational semantics for Haskell, only an
> informal agreement ;-).

As long as the implementation would not do anything very fishy to
produce a non-monotonic function, if  addHeight _|_ e = m  for some
integer m, then  addHeight n e  would have to be  m  for all  n, and I
would agree very much that this is wrong :-)

Greetings,

Carsten

P.S.:  Is there a special reason for the Simons on this list not to
       produce messages with proper References headers?  *duck*

--
Carsten Schultz (2:38, 33:47), FB Mathematik, FU Berlin
http://carsten.codimi.de/