Socket Options

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Mon Jun 28 08:08:46 EDT 2004

On 28 June 2004 13:06, Peter Simons wrote:

> Glynn Clements writes:
>
>  >> Am I even supposed to set them, or is there a better way to
>  >> specify general I/O timeouts than on the socket level?
>
>  > Non-blocking I/O and select/poll; although I don't know
>  > how well that is supported.
>
> Can anyone tell me how well supported it is? What would
> happen if a timeout occurs in the _socket_ level? Will an
> exception be thrown? Can I count on this behavior even when
> reading from a socket (read: a Handle promoted from a
> Socket) with hGetContents?

The runtime uses non-blocking I/O and select() internally in order to
support multi-threaded I/O.

We don't have any direct support for timeouts, but the usual way to do
this is to fork another thread to sleep and send an exception to the
original thread.  Code for a timeout combinator has been posted to this
list before (try Google).