Haskell performance

Sébastien Pierre sebastien.pierre at adival.com
Thu Mar 18 11:30:26 EST 2004

Hi all,

Thanks for all your answers :)

I am still unsure of whether Haskell would be a good competitor against
other languages in my case, but it seems like if it does the best option
would be to reuse C++ graph libraries and carefully write a wrapper
around them to minimize passing values between C and Haskell worlds.

In fact, I would like to know how Haskell compares in performance to
other languages because if I refer to the page I mentioned
(http://www.bagley.org/~doug/shootout/craps.shtml) it does not even
compete with Python (which is rather... slow). This is kind of scary,
and a quick search on the net turned out to confirm this :

    The test shows the performance ratio CC++ / Haskell (ghc-4.04)
between 10 and 15
    from http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/mail-www/haskell/msg02153.html.

It would be nice if I could get some papers or benchmarks on how Haskell
performs and scales.

Cheers,

 -- Sébastien.

PS: Regarding Java, it may be surprising, but when it comes to
computation (non-GUI stuff) it behaves surprisingly fast, and when used
properly can really compete with C++.