Overlapping, undecidable, incoherent -- or worse?

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Thu May 20 09:52:45 EDT 2004

You don't say what you are trying to achieve.  However it looks as if
you mean "If you want PO T, for some type T, first try (Bounded T, Enum
T, SemiRing T) and if that fails try CSemiRing T.  Or maybe the other
way round.

In any case, GHC simply does not implement this kind of backtracking
search.  It would make sense, and some of the more exotic users of type
classes would like it, but (a) there are numerous tricky corners, and
(b) it's awkward to implement the way GHC is now.  If the specification
was completely clear I might be tempted to fix (b), but it isn't.  The
main difficulty is that a compiler does not solve constraints "all at
once".  Instead it does a bit of solving, then then a bit more later.
If the "later" part doesn't pan out, it's jolly difficult to go back to
the original part (in another module, perhaps) and change it.

As a trivial example, try

	f a = a |= a

What type shall we infer for f?
	f :: (Bounded a, Enum a, SemiRing a) => a -> a
or
	f :: (CSemiRing a) => a -> a

Simon