Bug in touchForeignPtr?

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Wed Nov 24 11:09:12 EST 2004

Duncan Coutts writes:

 > you cannot solve the finalisers problem just by running
 > the finaliser thread to completion (or it'd be done that
 > way already!)

I guess, I was approaching the problem from the wrong side.
What I am really interested in are the implications of this
fact for the programmer. What I believe to have understood
so far is:

  You have no guarantee that a finalizer you registered
  will ever be run -- even if the program terminates
  normally.

Is that correct? Or did I misunderstand something?

Peter