deriving...

MR K P SCHUPKE k.schupke at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Oct 20 05:45:00 EDT 2004

>instance Typeable (T a)

Forgive my stupid question, but why? What will deriving instances do?
Questions that spring to mind are:

1) How will the deriviation of instances be defined... If instances
are the same for all types then this is just the current default
method. If not then this will need reflection to decompose the type and
construct the method?

2) How will validity be checked... Lets say I have a class called
Set, and I make a type an instance of this class, how will it
show that the properties of a 'set' are valid on the particular
instance? (for example I try and make an 'Int' an instance of
'Set'.

Keean.