problem building for cygwin

Beni Kavanagh b.i.kavanagh at sms.ed.ac.uk
Wed Sep 15 20:56:42 EDT 2004

Hi I'm trying to build for cygwin.

>From a clean windows box I

Installed cygwin to c:/cygwin
Added c:/cygwin/bin to path
Installed MSys and MinGW in c:/msys and c:/mingw   (did not add path)
Installed ghc to c:/ghc/ghc-6.2.1
Untarred source to c:/ghc/ghc-6.2.1    (same dir)
Copied perl from ghc dist to /cygwin/bin/perl
Downloaded and build happy and alex     (not that this is necessary but
built just fine)
Ran ./configure --with-ghc=c:/ghc/ghc-6.2.1/bin/ghc --with-
                                         gcc=c:/cygwin/bin/gcc

make

failed while trying to build ghc/compiler. The build rules give the argument
-package unix but the binary ghc release from www.haskell.org is a mingw
version and so doesn't have package unix. Of course inorder to build the
unix library I need ghc/compiler/ghc-inplace and I'm now skuppered.

Has anyone else ran into this problem. Am I making a mistake?

Cheers
Ben