[ ghc-Feature Requests-1189559 ] incomplete patterns and GADT

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Mon Apr 25 11:29:07 EDT 2005

Feature Requests item #1189559, was opened at 2005-04-25 08:29
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=358032&aid=1189559&group_id=8032

Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
I would like to compile with
-fwarn-incomplete-patterns and use GADTs,
but I have bogus error messages.
Suppose I define :

data T a where
    C1 :: T Char
    C2 :: T Float

then a function :

exhaustive :: T Char -> Char
exhaustive C1 = ' '

If I compile with incomplete pattern warnings,
I get that my function "exhaustive" is not
exhaustive.
But if I add a case :

exhaust C2 = ' '

then the compiler accurately warns me that this
case is inaccessible.
Would it be possible to add the accessibility check
when compiling with incomplete patterns detection ?