Project options for GHC

Claus Reinke claus.reinke at talk21.com
Mon Dec 12 15:18:23 EST 2005

fwiw: I have not yet used .ghci files - even though I try to use
"ghc --make" instead of full-blown makefiles, I tend to write
mini-makefiles that set up paths, options, etc, before calling
"ghc --make" to do the real work (well sometimes, there's some
non-Haskell work to be done first). And if you now recall that
ghci is "ghci --interactive", you'll guess where this is headed.

If I want to use ghci on such projects, the relevant part of the
makefile looks somewhat like this:

    MODE ?= --make
    .. : ..
    <TAB>ghc ${MODE} ...

which allows me to use the same makefile either for ghc or
ghci. In particular, I can use --make first to make a large project,
then switch to using --interactive, benefitting from the
combination of both.

cheers,
claus