darcs switchover

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk
Tue Dec 20 11:18:05 EST 2005

"Simon Marlow" <simonmar at microsoft.com> writes:

> The aim is to eventually switch over to using darcs for our revision
> control.  The point of this message is to find out what constraints
> people have that will affect when we can throw the switch.

One thing it occurs to me to ask is what will be happening to CVS
commit messages, once the switchover to darcs happens?

I have investigated this briefly, and it seems that darcs does not
yet directly support mailing out commit messages from a repository.
There is a wrapper script at
    darcs get http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dons/code/darcs-mail
but this requires administration privileges on the hosting machine,
since you need to rename the darcs binary proper, then install the
wrapper in its place.  Also, it is unclear to me whether this wrapper
works equally well in all situations, e.g. with 'darcs apply' on the
hosting machine, 'darcs push' from a separate repository on the same
host, or 'darcs push' from a remote machine with ssh.

Anyone sufficiently familiar with this to shed any light?

Regards,
    Malcolm