darcs switchover

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk
Wed Dec 21 09:11:14 EST 2005

dons at cse.unsw.edu.au (Donald Bruce Stewart) writes:

> > One thing it occurs to me to ask is what will be happening to CVS
> > commit messages, once the switchover to darcs happens?
>
> I originally wrote this script as a temporary fix until darcs supported
> post-apply hooks. If it does now, perhaps there's no need for the
> wrapper, and instead a mail program can be invoked by darcs itself as a
> hook (i.e. just the core of darcs-mail can be `hooked').

Ah, yes I have just upgraded to darcs 1.05 (from 1.03), and there
are posthooks available for every command now.  However, there is
one wrinkle that means we can't use a stripped-down version of your
darcs-mail script directly.  The command invoked by the posthook does
not, AFAICS, get to look at the patch bundle.  This means the posthook
can only report a single patch per bundle, something like this:

    darcs changes -s --last=1 | mail -s "darcs commit" `cat mailinglist`

where previously, the --last argument could in fact determine a fully
accurate count of patches contained in the bundle.  I'm not sure from
the documentation whether multiple patches are normally submitted
simultaneously from one repository to another, but I suspect the
answer is yes.  Any ideas?

Regards,
    Malcolm