Waiting on Sockets or File Descriptors

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk
Thu Feb 3 06:13:12 EST 2005

> On 02 February 2005 19:48, Peter Simons wrote:
>
> > Wolfgang Thaller writes:
> >
> >  > a) poll() is not supported on Mac OS X and (at least some
> >  > popular versions of) BSD.
> >
> > Are you certain? Just tried "man poll" on one of the MacOS X
> > machines the SourceForge compile farm offers, and that one
> > had it: "Darwin ppc-osx1 5.5 Darwin Kernel Version 5.5".

"man poll" returns "No manual entry for poll" on my MacOS X 10.3.7
machine, Darwin 7.7.0.  Nevertheless, <sys/poll.h> exists, as a
redirection to <poll.h>, which describes itself as:

    poll - select(2)-based poll() emulation function for BSD systems.

    int poll (struct pollfd *pArray, unsigned long n_fds, int timeout)

Regards,
    Malcolm