Unboxed Tuples

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Mon Feb 7 04:28:35 EST 2005

Good point.  Yes you can rely on it; but the binding is lazy.  So for
this

	h :: Int -> (# String, String #)
	h = ...

	f x = let (# p,q #) = h x in ...

you'll get

	f x = let (p,q) = case h x of (# p,q #) -> (p,q)
	        in ...

So the call to h only happens when either p or q is used.

On the other hand, if any of the binders in a let-pattern has an
unlifted type (e.g. Int#) then the whole pattern match becomes strict.
So if p or q had an unlifted type, the match would be strict.

I'll add a note to the usre manual.

Simon