GHC 6.4 release candidates available

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk
Thu Feb 10 10:13:15 EST 2005

"Simon Marlow" <simonmar at microsoft.com> writes:

> We are finally at the release candidate stage for GHC 6.4.
> Please test if you're able to, and give us feedback.

In versions 5.00 <= ghc <= 6.2.2, the result of

    ghc -v 2>&1 | head -2

was something like

    Glasgow Haskell Compiler, Version 6.2.2, ....
    Using package config file: /grp/haskell/lib/ghc-6.2.2/package.conf

whereas with 6.4, these two lines have been swapped:

    Reading package config file: /usr/malcolm/local/lib/ghc-6.4.20050209/package.conf
    Glasgow Haskell Compiler, Version 6.4.20050209, ....

and the "Using package config" message has become "Reading package
config".  These changes are minor and unnecessary: in particular they
make the detection of configuration information (by hmake) rather
more complicated than it ought to be.  I know this is a pretty trivial
complaint, but the -v behaviour has been stable for a few years now,
so why change it arbitrarily?

Regards,
    Malcolm