ghc-cvs-snapshot with wxHaskell

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Thu Feb 17 11:33:51 EST 2005

On 17 February 2005 13:48, Daan Leijen wrote:

> Secondly, maybe ghc should not generate the spurious extra rules?
> (and generate exactly what it generated at version 6.2.2). What do
> you think Simon?

ghc -M now works like --make and GHCi: it follows dependencies.  In
fact, it's using the same code internally (previously there was some
duplication).  Partly the reason for this change was we needed
enhancements to the dependency tracking for the new .hs-boot mechanism.

There's no way to make ghc -M *not* follow dependencies.  I assume that
what you're doing is generating dependencies for each source file
separately, right?  I wonder if perhaps we should have a way to prevent
ghc -M from generating dependencies on files that aren't explicitly
mentioned on the command line.

>> 3. Package stuff
>> I included package files in the new style to the configure script.
>> Problem: the environment variable are not substituted any longer by
>> ghc-pkg ?
>
> Simon?

That's right, I was too lazy to implement it, and in any case it's
slightly dubious - the expansion happened after parsing, so can an
environment variable expansion result in multiple list items?

Mostly we pre-process our package.conf files using CPP instead of using
environment variables, or we use autoconf.  Could you do that?