GHC 6.4 release candidates available (breakage on suse 9.2 x86 or x86-64)

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Thu Feb 24 17:45:55 EST 2005

On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 11:12:06AM +0000, Malcolm Wallace wrote:
> Ideally, if ghc were implemented in something closer to Haskell'98,
> it would be possible to double-bootstrap up from gcc -> nhc98 ->
> ghc unregisterised -> ghc registerised, on almost any new platform.
> But the amount of work required to 98-ify ghc is considerable (there
> are 148 kLoC to check), and it is hard to say whether it would
> be worthwhile.  Maybe someone fancies tackling it as a medium-size
> project?

It might be easier to extend nhc98 with some of the extensions needed by
ghc. Actually, how difficult would it be to translate ghc core to
something nhc could use? Then we could use the ghc front end with nhcs
back end. I am not sure what nhcs intermediate language looks like, but
ghc core is similar enough to desugared haskell that it seems like it
should be possible. The main issue I can think of is a mismatch in the
primitive operators, so one would probably have to use ghcs front end
with nhcs prelude/other libraries.
        John

--
John Meacham - ⑆repetae.net⑆john⑈