self-import

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jan 18 05:30:26 EST 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-18 at 10:13 +0000, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:
> I think what you want is actually more directly stated thus:
>
> 	module Doc.Pretty.Long( ... ) as M where
>
> The 'as M' in the module header gives an alias for Doc.Pretty.Long just
> as it does for an import statement.  Simple.
>
> Your scheme had the advantage of no new syntax.   I'd be interested to
> know whether lots of people would like 'as M' in the module header, as
> new syntax.  A bit more complexity, but perhaps useful.

And if it turns out we are in the mood to look at extending the
inport/export/module syntax perhaps we could also consider the qualified
export idea posted a few weeks ago.

That was so that you could say:

import Graphics.UI.Gtk

and then use Button.setText (rather than buttonSetText) as $DEITY
intended. Down with the moduleNamePrefix! :-)

Duncan