make html

Donald Bruce Stewart dons at cse.unsw.edu.au
Wed Jun 1 06:37:07 EDT 2005

mechvel:
> Dear GHC supporters,
>
> I have made  ghc-6.4  from source by binary itself
> (Linux, Debian 3.1):
>
>   cd ghc/6.4/ghc-6.4/
>   ./configure --prefix=foo
>   make
>   make install
>
> But it is so hard to obtain documentation! I tried    make html
> (in the same directory). It reports

> ===fptools== Recursively making `html' in glafp-utils ghc libraries hslibs
> docs
> PWD = /home/mechvel/ghc/6.4/ghc-6.4
> --
> rm -f -rf users_guide/
> stringparam base.dir users_guide/ \
>             --stringparam use.id.as.filename 1 \
>             --stringparam html.stylesheet fptools.css \
>             --stringparam toc.section.depth 3 --stringparam section.autolabel 1
> --stringparam section.label.includes.component.label 1   \
>             /html/chunk.xsl users_guide.xml
> make[3]: stringparam: Command not found
>
> The user has managed to make GHC: a big deal. And now has problems with making docs.
> This looks strange.
> Why not provide, say, a couple of ready  .ps  files for user guide and library guide?
> And if it is .html, let them be ready .html files.

It *is* hard to build the documentation, but luckily ghc releases are
also accompanied by documentation releases. Some useful docs for 6.4 are at:
    http://www.haskell.org/ghc/documentation.html

including:
    http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/libraries.html.tar.gz
    http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/users_guide.ps.gz