Set & Int

Serge D. Mechveliani mechvel at botik.ru
Sat Jun 4 03:50:01 EDT 2005

Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 10:29:03 -0400
People discussed the Map implementation in GHC:

  data Set a =   Tip
               | Bin {-# UNPACK #-} !Size a !(Set a) !(Set a)

  type Size = Int

I do not think that these strict fields can do a real harm,
because they effect only a single level of data construction.
And even if it was a strict language, operating with large sets
would be all right.
Still, I would prefer to remove `!' and UNPACK, in order to preserve
a pure language.

But what I really do not understand is: why not `Integer'?
What difficulties may cause the design with

  size :: Set a -> Natural
  type Natural = Integer

What will be the difference?
With each  insert  envokation, recomputing  size  costs  O(log n),
the next call for  size  costs  O(1).
Right?
Everything looks like for `Int' -- except that `Int' is a bug.
"v :: Int"  is a bug, if  v  can occur large.
For example, we could imagine (there may appear, there may exist)
a machine capable to process in a real time the number of cells much
greater than  maximal_Int.
This depends on hardware architecture specifics.
For such sets  sS,  size sS :: Int  returns incorrect result.

Regards,

Serge Mechveliani
mechvel at botik.ru