Segfaulting programs with GHC 6.4.1

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Fri Oct 21 05:28:51 EDT 2005

On 21 October 2005 10:20, John Goerzen wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 09:52:50AM +0100, Simon Marlow wrote:
>> At this stage we need to resort to gdb.  Run the version of the
>> program compiled with -debug under gdb, and take a look at the
>> backtrace when it crashes.  Hopefully it'll be somewhere in the RTS,
>> if it's somewhere in Haskell code you won't get an informative
>> backtrace.
>
> OK, here's what I've got.  There's a little bit here -- no idea if
> this provides any clues.  In fact, it looks pretty much the same as
> when I ran gdb against the core file that it created when it crashed
> -- but with the addition of the last few lines.  Here are the useful
> bits:
>
> ThreadId 9: quix.us:70:9:/Software/mulinux/Newer
> Upload/mulinux-14r0.iso
> ThreadId 8:

serpiente.dgsca.unam.mx:70:0:0/noticia_mex_mundo/nacional/febrero94/07/d
epo/07febdepo14.txt
> [New Thread -1416234064 (LWP 26413)]

> [Switching to Thread -1214252112 (LWP 26365)]
> 0x080ba84a in s34n_info ()
> (gdb) bt
> #0  0x080ba84a in s34n_info ()
> #1  0xb7ac8374 in ?? ()
> #2  0xb7a01910 in ?? ()
> #3  0xb7ac8764 in ?? ()
> #4  0xb7a05bac in ?? ()
> #5  0x00028738 in ?? ()
> #6  0x08172728 in MainCapability ()
> #7  0x00000002 in ?? ()
> #8  0x00000001 in ?? ()
> #9  0xb7ac266c in ?? ()
> #10 0x00000001 in ?? ()
> #11 0xb7ac8738 in ?? ()
> #12 0x00000000 in ?? ()
> #13 0x00000000 in ?? ()
> ... [ thousands of lines of this deleted ] ...
> #1872 0x00000000 in ?? ()
> #1873 0x00000000 in ?? ()
> #1874 0x08174058 in ?? ()
> #1875 0x08174058 in ?? ()
> #1876 0xb7a774b4 in ?? ()
> #1877 0xb79ff138 in ?? ()
> #1878 0x08134aa5 in allocBlock ()
> #1879 0x080ba95c in s3eu_info ()

A couple more things to try:  disassemble s34n_info to see where exactly
it crashed, and if there are any calls in there you recognise, and 'grep
s34n_info *.o' over your object files to see which object that symbol
comes from.