ghc releasing memory during compilation

Ketil Malde ketil+haskell at ii.uib.no
Thu Apr 6 07:12:16 EDT 2006

Simon Marlow <simonmarhaskell at gmail.com> writes:

>> So it used more than double the amount of memory.

> Is it reproducible?  I expect that the -M value might be exceeeded by
> a small amount sometimes, but double is surprising.

Yes.  That is, I was running multiple instances on different CentOS
computers, all of them went way over the specified amount.  Instances
on Rock Linux/AMD64 stayed below.

This is using the same executable, statically linked.

However, when I specify low bounds, it runs out of heap as expected.

> Please supply the source, it saves time trying to reproduce.

  $ darcs get http://www.ii.uib.no/~ketil/bioinformatics/repos/rbr
  $ cd rbr/src; make rbr_s  # <- _s for the statically linked version
  $ wget http://www.ii.uib.no/~ketil/tmp/rbrdata.seq
  $ ./rbr_s rbrdata.seq +RTS -MxM

For x=400 or 800, this grows apprarently without bounds, for x=100, it
terminates with heap exhaustion.

-k