6.4.2.20060411 under solaris

Christian Maeder maeder at tzi.de
Tue Apr 18 09:47:45 EDT 2006

Volker Stolz wrote:
> venus [14:45:44]> echo foo | tr a-z A-Z
> foo
> venus [14:46:11]> echo foo | tr [a-z] [A-Z]
> FOO
[..]
> Maybe it's safe to switch to the bracketed version these days...
> This also works fine on Linnix and FreeBSD.
> Finding the correct 'tr' on Solaris is probably more tedious.

the bracketed version works for me, too. But maybe such a range is wrong
for different locales anyway? ([A-Z] in file patterns on my linux
machine also match lower case letters except "a").

I'm quite confused by the various ways of doing such a trivial
transformation (using perl, sed, tr and what not.) and then still having
it wrong for certain machines or environments.

Cheers Christian