ANNOUNCE: GHC vesrion 6.4.2

Isaac Jones ijones at syntaxpolice.org
Sat Apr 29 21:40:02 EDT 2006

Simon Marlow <simonmarhaskell at gmail.com> writes:

(snip)
>>>Damn.  Well spotted.  I better re-roll the distributions.
>> I'm concerned that there are many different versions of Cabal
>> "1.1.4".
>> The version that GHC 6.4.2 is now shipping is actually a very old
>> version of Cabal 1.1.4.
>
> Sorry, this is my fault: I just copied the CVS version of Cabal into
> 6.4.2, and didn't bump the version on the mainline at the same time.

Darn.  My fault too for not paying closer attention to the GHC release
process.

> I've now bumped the mainline Cabal to 1.1.5, and I've tagged the
> version in 6.4.2 with the tag "shipped in GHC 6.4.2".  That version is
> circa Jan 15, 2006.  I didn't copy Cabal/test in 6.4.2, so you will
> see some differences in there if you 'diff -cr', BTW.

I'd be glad to make a release of this, but I don't see the tag when I
ask for changes against: cvs.haskell.org:/home/darcs/packages/Cabal

Where is the tagged version? Can you push the tag to the mainline
cabal or not?

(snip)
>> Is there anything we can do for the next release of GHC/Cabal so that we
>> don't end up with this mess?
>
> Yes, I should coordinate with Isaac more closely next time, and we
> should coincide the GHC release with a Cabal release.  Either that, or
> GHC should be using a branch of the Cabal repository that corresponds
> to a recent stable version.

Either way is fine.  I knew that a release was coming up, but when I
chatted w/ sof it sounded like it was going to be in a while.  The bad
news is that I wanted to change the API to the hooks
again... depending on which version you grabbed; does it have the fix
so that the "clean" target doesn't require a "configure" run?  Not a
very big deal in any case.  We'll straighten it out.

peace,

  isaac