GHC 6.4.3 on FreeBSD

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 11:38:39 EDT 2006

Simon Marlow wrote:
> An update on the GHC/FreeBSD front: I didn't manage to reproduce the
> reported threading bugs on a UP, will be trying on a MP shortly.

Using -lthr instead of -pthread, I completed a test run on the dual proc box:

OVERALL SUMMARY for test run started at Tue Aug  8 09:21:49 EDT 2006
     1365 total tests, which gave rise to
     6055 test cases, of which
        0 caused framework failures
     1034 were skipped

     4944 expected passes
       61 expected failures
        4 unexpected passes
       12 unexpected failures

Unexpected passes:
    cholewo-eval(optasm,profasm)
    ffi009(optasm,profasm)

Unexpected failures:
    barton-mangler-bug(normal,opt,prof,ghci,threaded)
    queryfdoption01(normal,opt,optasm,prof,profasm,threaded)
    rn.prog006(normal)

Nothing to worry about here.

I also discovered that we already have a fix in the HEAD's version of timeout
that makes it work on FreeBSD (d'oh).  The problem is that our timeout program
forks and then calls system(), which forks again, and this is allegedly not
allowed.  I've merged that fix into STABLE now.

I'm running the testsuite again with everything linked with -pthread and using
the fixed timeout program.  So far I haven't seen the other reported symptom,
namely that the stage2 compiler sometimes hangs.