fork and ghc

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Tue Aug 8 19:07:16 EDT 2006

I want to modify jhc to take advantage of mutiple CPUs to help mitigate
its prodigious computational requirements and was curious how well ghc
compiled programs deal with forking?

my initial plan is that once jhc determines which modules need to be
recompiled, it will fork(2) off processes down each pass that can be
done in parallel. however, I have no idea what the effect of just
calling fork on the ghc runtime will be. both parent and child will
continue on compiling code, so it won't be immediatly followed by an
exec.

        John
--
John Meacham - ⑆repetae.net⑆john⑈