dependingOn in 6.6

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Tue Aug 8 19:58:39 EDT 2006

I was wondering if we could be sure to get

dependingOn :: a -> b -> a
dependingOn = ....

in ghc 6.6? this has been discussed before, it is implemented in jhc and
I have found all sorts of use for it as it can be used to control let
floating and inlining in a nice general way and is trivial to implement.
(one for ghc was posted before based on primitives it already
implements)

we just need to decide on a module to export it.

the meaning is that

x = ... `dependingOn` y

returns x with an artificial dependency on y. so things using x cannot
be floated out above where y is defined.

        John

--
John Meacham - ⑆repetae.net⑆john⑈