Replacement for GMP: Update

Einar Karttunen ekarttun at cs.helsinki.fi
Thu Aug 10 11:38:48 EDT 2006

On 10.08 11:16, Peter Tanski wrote:
> Paragraph 6 of the OpenSSL (1998-2005) license states that:
>
>  * 6. Redistributions of any form whatsoever must retain the following
> *    acknowledgment:
> *    "This product includes software developed by the OpenSSL Project
> *    for use in the OpenSSL Toolkit (http://www.openssl.org/)".
>
> All developers would have to do is include the acknowledgment stated
> above.

I think this is not bad for specific applications, but forcing this
upon all code compiled by GHC would be bad. I think the compiler
should not link applications by default to things that force
license related things.

I think this is one reason GMP is being replaced.

ps. personally I don't think the advertising clause is bad, but
I think it is bad to force it on other users.

- Einar Karttunen