Replacement for GMP: Update

Peter Tanski p.tanski at gmail.com
Sat Aug 12 12:51:32 EDT 2006

Florian:

> On most systems, readline is GPLed.  There is a non-copyleft
> reimplementation somewhere, but I don't think it's widely used.

The non-copyleft implementation is an upgrade from BSD's lineedit,
called libedit <http://www.thrysoee.dk/editline/>.  Apple's OS X
includes it as a version of libreadline by a adding "/usr/lib/
libreadline.dylib" as a symbolic link to libedit.dylib.  (I had
forgotten about this because I have a version of Darwin Ports's
libreadline I had installed so I could build GHC on OS 10.4: libedit
does not fully implement libreadline's API so GHC requires libreadline).

That GHC includes libreadline is not a problem for developers
compiling programs using GHC because libreadline is used for GHC's
interactive bytecode interpreter, GHCi, which is part of the compiler
system but is not linked into the RTS of compiled programs.  (This
might be a problem with GHC's BSD license; I don't know.)  Clearly
the best solution would be to write to the FSF.  The whole purpose of
licensing GHC as BSD3 is to promote the broad use of Haskell as a
programming language and developer involvement in the support,
maintenance and research of Haskell and the GHC compiler.  Those
goals realistically require commercial developer support, otherwise
small company or individual developers who lack the market
recognition to sell software as a service could not write
applications in Haskell and compile them with GHC.  There are a few
companies that do profitably sell Haskell as a service, notably
Galois Connections, Aetion Technologies, Bluespec, Erlang Training
and Consulting and OM Consulting.

>>  the "no further restriction" clause is
>> so broad
>
> It has to be very broad, otherwise developers could bypass the
> copyleft concept.

True.

>> the same clause (verbatim) in section 10 of the LGPL means the GPL
>> license is incompatible with the terms of the LGPL!
>
> The LGPL permits relicensing of covered works under the GPL.  Without
> that provision, it would indeed be incompatible with the GPL.

Are you referring to section 3 of the LGPL?  The drafters should have
referenced section 10 there to avoid confusion: section 3 and section
10 are clearly conflicting provisions with the only indicator of
precedence being the order (section 3 comes before 10).  I should
note that this would not be a problem for licenses assigned directly
by the FSF since they could refer to other documentation that would
clarify the discrepancy.  It might be a problem for an individual
programmer who simply adopted the LGPL license and then had to
enforce it.

Best regards,
Peter