GHCi hacking

Ulf Norell ulfn at cs.chalmers.se
Fri Aug 18 06:30:53 EDT 2006

On Aug 18, 2006, at 11:54 AM, Neil Mitchell wrote:

> If what you want is a shell like thing, Shellac will give it to you.
> If you want to evaluate arbitrary Haskell then hs-plugins will give it
> to you. If you want both, combine them.

I want to evaluate arbitrary Haskell code, and I did start with hs-
plugins. There are a few problems:

- It doesn't work 100% on Mac (which I'm using).
- It's much slower than GHCi (for each expression to evaluate it
creates a file and compiles it)
- GHCi has a lot of features that I would have to implement myself
for hs-plugins (top-level bindings, Control-C handling, lots of
flags, etc).

> Probably much easier than hacking at GHCi!

But not nearly as fun! :)

/ Ulf