Circular dependency between the compiler and TH?

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 11:10:22 EDT 2006

Joel Reymont wrote:

> On Aug 19, 2006, at 7:30 PM, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:
>
>> I can't tell just what you are doing, but somehow you seem to be
>> building a stage-2 compiler in stage1.
>>

> Well, I'm on Mac Intel so I can only build ghc 6.5 using ghc 6.5.

You'd probably find it easier to use the source snapshots, since these will have
dated version numbers (eg. 6.5.20060821 rather than just 6.5).

GHC is trying to build GHCI in stage 1, because it thinks you have a compatible
compiler.  In fact, you have a slightly older 6.5 installed.  However (as I
think I mentioned before) we don't officially support building GHC using a
random snapshot, because it would be impractical to do so.  I understand why you
can't use a released version in this case, though.

As a workaround, you can 'make GhcWithInterpreter=NO' in compiler/ when building
stage 1.