Packages in GHC 6.6

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 03:52:23 EDT 2006

Hello Krasimir,

Friday, August 25, 2006, 10:49:50 AM, you wrote:

> The usage of something else than cabarc isn't supported directly and
> will require extra work. Is the lzma algorithm better than bz2? If I

for compression of binary data (and most of windows distribution is
executable), lzma is best, cabarc is second and bzip2 is far down.
for compression of text data ppmd is best, lzma is slightly worser,
and bz2 is again down with cabarc at the same level

paying attention to the fact that cabarc and lzma are asymmetric
algorithms (i.e. they use more resources on compression but less on
decompression) i recommend to use one of them - it will result in
faster decompression (and using much less memory compared to ppmd)

> have to use something better than cabarc I would prefer more popular
> compression algorithm.

i think, popularity is not matter if the whole distribution will be
unpacked to temporary directory before installation. MSI should
support such facility. as a result, installer will be about 20% less
in size - important for those of us who still pay their traffic

you can download 7-zip program (that is archiver using lzma algorithm)
at www.7-zip.com and try yourself to compress whole ghc installed tree:

7z a -r -mx9 archive

--
Best regards,