[Haskell] GHC Error question

Lennart Augustsson lennart at augustsson.net
Sat Dec 9 12:46:30 EST 2006

Your two examples are different, the second one is rejected by the
type checker, with or without a signature.  The first one isn't.

Tell me how this make sense:
    1. I enter the definition for f.
    2. I ask ghc for the type of f and get an answer.
    3. I take the answer and tell ghc this is the type of f, and ghc
tells me I'm wrong.
Somewhere in this sequence something is going wrong.  And it is
either is step 2 or 3.
Maybe in step 2 ghc is lying to me, and what it tells me isn't the
type of f.  Then ghc is broken.
Maybe in step 3 ghc misunderstands my type and doesn't know what I
mean.  Then ghc is broken.

I don't see how steps 1-3 can happen unless there is something
broken.  And I think the problem is in step 2.  The b there isn't
quite what it seems to be.  And if it isn't, it should be marked as
such.

	-- Lennart