[Haskell] GHC Error question

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Mon Dec 18 12:00:54 EST 2006

| it works as expected. which is why I think that the type should be:
|
|     f :: forall t. ((forall b. C t b) => t -> t)
|
| or, bringing the quantifiers to the front:
|
|     f :: forall t. exists b. (C t b => t -> t)

My brain is too small to figure out the consequences of adding first-class existentials to Haskell; nor of how to decide when to universally quantify and when to existentially quantify; nor of what to do when calling a function like f.

Oleg's recent message gives many other examples you might like to consider.
        http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-cafe/2006-December/020538.html

| >Why not reject it right away as ambiguous?
|
| I thought the reason for that was simply that there are situations in
| which f can actually
| be called, and op be used, such as "f (0::Int)" with "instance C Int
| b"?

yes, that's right.