Recompiling the darcs tree after a pull

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 07:42:01 EDT 2006

Joel Reymont wrote:
> What I usually do is build GHC from darcs and make-install it. I then
> do a darcs pull and use the previously built compiler to bootstrap. I
> guess this is not optimal and I should just use the last stable GHC  to
> recompile the darcs tree.

Yes, that isn't a "supported" workflow.  The rule is that we support building
GHC using either:

   (a) any released version of GHC version 5.04 and later, or
   (b) itself.

(by "itself" we mean a compiler built from these same sources).

In other words, building the HEAD using a 6.5 snapshot isn't guaranteed to work.
  It might work.