Lookup module and package defining <<x>?

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 08:15:52 EDT 2006

Hi,

> My purpose: After having found the a function I want to use it without
> having to search where does it belong to and where does it come from.
I'm not sure what you are asking for? Where does it come from? Surely
thats just the module name - which hoogle easily gives you. If there
is some information that hoogle doesn't provide about "the location"
of a module, I'll be happy to add it.

> I want it beeing as up to date as the installed libraries. That's why I
> thought it might be best to integrate it into ghc?
I want hoogle to always be as up to date as the latest stable GHC,
since that should be the one for most people. I am also working on
adding libraries, Gtk is already searchable, more will be with hoogle
4. This should cover all the libraries you have installed.

Of course, they won't match your versions, they'll be the most up to
date ones. If this is a problem feel free to install Hoogle locally,
generate hoogle databases using haddock with the -hoogle flag. With a
bit of shell script magic you should have everything you need to make
something that does what you want. And of course, once you have,
please release it back to the world :)

> Do you think it would be better to integrate it in another tool such
> like lambdabot or hoogle?
If you integrate something with hoogle, then you get it from lambdabot
for free, with @hoogle.

Thanks

Neil