GHC 6.4.3 is stalled

Christian Maeder maeder at tzi.de
Tue Jul 25 08:34:30 EDT 2006

Simon Peyton-Jones schrieb:
> Folks
>
> GHC 6.4.2's threaded runtime system does not work right on
> 	Solaris

On our solaris sparc machine compiling our main binary (optimized) takes
3h:38min whereas (only) 55min under linux. At least our sparcs may die
out sooner or later.

On the other hand we have a couple of Athlon's-64 with Solaris 10
without any ghc installation. I'ld appreciate if there was a binary
distribution of ghc-6.4.1 or ghc-6.4.2 (without threaded rts) for
PC-Solaris, first. Maybe that would motivate me to look a little into
the threaded problems. Although, I was told that posix threads are
differently implemented for Solaris, Mac and Linux (and only correctly
under Mac).

Hopefully, the threaded problems under solaris are the same for sparcs
and for pcs.

Cheers Christian