Replacement for GMP as Bignum: ARPREC? Haskell?; OS-X and OpenSSL

Brian Hulley brianh at metamilk.com
Sun Jul 30 06:53:30 EDT 2006

p.tanski at gmail.com wrote:
> GHC Task Ticket # 601 suggests replacing GMP with OpenSSL's Bignum
> library, BN. I have two questions concerning this:

>From the ticket, this looks very scary:

          but its LGPL license is problematic for users of GHC
         (it prohibits static linking of GHC-compiled programs, for
example).

Does this mean I can't distribute my Haskell app as a commercial
application? I certainly don't want to distribute source code and I've got
no idea how to compile a Haskell app other than using ghc --make, which
creates a single exe ie with static linkage.

If I only use Int's (not Integer's) in my code, is there a way to get rid of
GMP so that I won't have an impossible licencing problem when trying to
distribute my application binary? If not, then it would seem absolutely
vital to get rid of GMP as soon as possible or else try to persuade the
authors to add the usual static linking exception to their LGPL licence for
it.

Thanks, Brian.

strive mightily unseen to destroy us.

http://www.metamilk.com