Data.Sequence?

Michael Marte marte at pms.informatik.uni-muenchen.de
Thu Jun 1 09:26:33 EDT 2006

Simon,

Simon Marlow wrote:
> Ross Paterson wrote:
>
>> On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 12:20:02PM +0200, Michael Marte wrote:
>>
>>> when importing Data.Queue in 6.4.2, I am told that it is deprecated
>>> and that I should use Data.Sequence instead. However, Data.Sequence
>>> is not part of the base package - it is there but it is missing from
>>> the package.conf file.
>>

>> Data.Queue ought not to be deprecated in 6.4, as Data.Sequence won't
>> be available until the next major release.
>

> Michael, there appears to be something strange about your GHC
> installation.  In 6.4.2, Data.Queue is not deprecated, and the
> Data.Sequence library is not present at all.

I installed ghc-6-4-2.msi on Windows.
The same behaviour is exposed by ghc 6.4.1 on Debian Linux.
The deprecation took place on July 29th last year as is clearly visible
from the CVS log, see below.
Data.Sequence is in the CVS repository and there is a file Sequence.hi
in hslibs-imports/data in my installation.

Michael

http://cvs.haskell.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/fptools/libraries/base/Data/Queue.hs

Revision 1.5: download - view: text, markup, annotated - select for diffs
Fri Jul 29 17:17:22 2005 UTC (10 months ago) by ross
Branches: MAIN
CVS tags: cmm-merge2, HEAD
Diff to previous 1.4: preferred, colored
Changes since revision 1.4: +4 -0 lines

document deprecation

-- |
-- Module      :  Data.Queue
-- Copyright   :  (c) The University of Glasgow 2002
-- License     :  BSD-style (see the file libraries/base/LICENSE)
-- Maintainer  :  libraries at haskell.org
-- Stability   :  experimental
-- Portability :  portable
--
-- NOTE: This module is DEPRECATED.
-- The data structure in "Data.Sequence" is a faster queue and also