Understanding directory structure of ghc installation

Brian Hulley brianh at metamilk.com
Thu Jun 1 11:17:37 EDT 2006

Robert Dockins wrote:
> On Jun 1, 2006, at 6:36 AM, Brian Hulley wrote:
>
>> Hi -
>> I've just downloaded and installed Edison using Cabal.
>

> How did that go for you?  You appear to have had some success ;-) I
> ask because 1.2rc4 has a new build system and I'm interested in your
> experience.  Also, have you tried running the test suite?

It installed perfectly!
I was very pleasantly surprised at how easy it was because I'd never used
Cabal before.
(I installed the API and Core separately to avoid having to use the makefile
because the makefile won't work on Windows afaik (there is no rm -r command
for example))

The test suite also builds and runs without any errors.

A very minor thing is that for some reason installing Edison also created
the following 2 empty directories:

    C:\Program Files\EdisonAPI-1.2
and
    C:\Program Files\EdisonCore-1.2

but maybe that's just a side effect of Cabal. I imagine this is generic
behaviour for installing anything under Windows because this is what you'd
want if you used Cabal to install an app.

And the only other tiny point is that the README file for the test suite
gives the wrong directory for the program to run - it should say:

./dist/build/testSuite/testSuite

instead of

./dist/build/src/testSuite

Anyway that's such a trifle it is almost embarassing to point it out!!! :-)

Best regards, Brian.

strive mightily unseen to destroy us.

http://www.metamilk.com