ghc sparc NCG

Georg Sauthoff gsauthof at TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE
Mon Jun 12 12:38:42 EDT 2006

On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 03:59:01PM +0100, Duncan Coutts wrote:

Hi,

> On Fri, 2006-06-02 at 15:10 +0200, Georg Sauthoff wrote:
> > at http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Platforms I read, that the
> > Sparc NCG 'is bitrotted' - does that mean, that it is unmaintained, but
> > used by default at sparc?

> No it means that GHC uses compilation via C on sparc.

ok - after reading http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/186 - the
Sparc NCG was active until 6.2 and disabled at >= 6.4.

> > I am asking because the solaris sparc system has a ghc 6.2 installed,
[..]
> So if someone were to take up maintainership and fix the bitrotted sparc
> NCG then we could use -fasm again rather than the default being -fvia-C
> and benefit from quicker compile times.

Besides quicker compile times - does the NCG generates better code (more
efficient - or is the via -fvia-c generated code less efficient)?

Regards
Georg Sauthoff