--make keep going?

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 09:10:24 EST 2006

Hello Simon,

>> is there an option to get ghc to keep going if it encounters an error
>> building a file with --make? as in, I'd like it to continue compiling as
>> much as it can only skipping what actually depends on the file that
>> failed rather than completly aborting everything.

SM> Certainly possible, and the -k flag is free, too :-)  Care to submit a
SM> feature req?

it will also be great to make syntax analysis of all source files
before compiling them. typical situation - after correcting program i
run --make, long wait while some modules will be compiled and only
after that ghc complains about some error. it's not yet feature req,
just some thoughts about ideal compilation cycle: first syntax check all
modules and print errors, then perform type analysis and report errors,
then compile correct modules. what other haskellers think about this?

another problem is what ghc tries to print entire block when it
encounters error. but this block can contain hundreds of lines!
moreover, error message and line number printed at the beginning, so
on 25-line terminal it's just impossible to know anything about bug!
it will be great to print maximum one line, i think

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com