Message "GHC/PrimopWrappers.hs:133:29: Not in scope: `GHC.Prim.quotInteger2Exp#'" building GHC with additional primitive operation

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 05:57:47 EST 2006

Thorkil Naur wrote:

> Thanks a lot, that removed some obstacles. Unfortunately, not all. Following
> successful "make clean" and "make all" in "ghc/compiler" and
> "libraries/base", a "make all" in the top-level directory reported:
>
>   ../../ghc/compiler/stage1/ghc-inplace -o stage2/ghc-6.4.1 -H16m -O
... snip...
>   /home/tn/tn/Haskell/ghc/unpack/ghc-6.4.1/ghc/rts/libHSrts.a(Linker.o):
> (.data+0x41c): undefined reference to `quotInteger2Expzh_fast'
>   collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

> And that message persisted, even when I tried "make clean" and "make all" in
> the top-level directory.

quotInteger2Expzh_fast is the function you are adding to PrimOps.cmm to
implement the primop.  The patch in your original message indicated that
you had added a stub for this function, so it should link ok.  I don't
understand what has gone wrong.

You could check that indeed ghc/rts/PrimOps.o contains a definition for
this symbol (nm ghc/rts/PrimOps.o), and also check that the symbol is
defined in ghc/rts/libHSrts.a.