GHC 6.4.2 release candidates

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Wed Mar 29 09:07:02 EST 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 12:34 +0100, Simon Marlow wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> We're finally in release-candidate mode for 6.4.2.  Please grab a
> snapshot and try it out:
>
> http://www.haskell.org/ghc/dist/stable/dist/
>
> (scroll to the bottom for the latest).  The available builds are:
> x86_64-unknown-linux (Fedora Core 5), i386-unknown-linux (glibc 2.3
> era), and Windows (i386-unknown-mingw32).
>
> There's a source snapshot if you want to build yourself - please try
> this if you can, we need to make sure the source bundle builds cleanly.

One thing that Don, Ian and I were discussing was having a tarball of
the testsuite and nofib performance suite to go along with the official
6.4.2 release. This would make it easier for us to be consistent. Having
the testsuite go with the ghc release will mean we can be sure about
which tests we expect to fail on x86/amd64 and we can use that as a
comparison for the other arch ports.

If we could get a tarball of the testsuite out before the release then
we can send in our results for various arches and that could be included
into the know failures files for the testsuite that goes official
release. It'd give us a better sense of the state of things on each
arch. Perhaps we could record testsuite results for different arches on
the ghc wiki somewhere.

Having a known benchmark like that would be very good to see if we're
breaking things eg in porting, getting registerised builds working, gcc
upgrades etc.

Duncan