Unregisterised GHC 6.4.2 on the ARM success -- now what?

Jeremy Shaw jeremy.shaw at linspireinc.com
Thu May 4 01:06:05 EDT 2006

Hello,

I believe I have successfully got an unregisterised version of ghc
6.4.2 compiled for arm/linux.

Details:
-------

I only had to do a minor bit of hacking -- this bug contains the
details of what went wrong:

My target platform is the nokia 770 which runs linux and has an arm9
processor. I compiled ghc using the standard nokia 770
cross-development tools. These consist of a debian-based distro named
maemo running inside scratchbox using QEMU to emulate the ARM
processor.

I have successfully compiled a "hello, world!" program and run the
executable on the real nokia 770 device.

What Next?

The next step appears to be to registerise the build. I found a
document that describes the C calling conventions for the ARM:

http://www.arm.com/miscPDFs/8031.pdf

I think the next step is to add an ARM section to:

ghc/includes/MachRegs.h

Is there some sensible method for doing this and testing it before I
tackle the other pieces ?

Thanks!
j.