Unregisterised GHC 6.4.2 on the ARM success -- now what?

Jeremy Shaw jeremy.shaw at linspireinc.com
Fri May 5 00:02:55 EDT 2006

At Wed, 03 May 2006 22:06:05 -0700,
Jeremy Shaw wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I believe I have successfully got an unregisterised version of ghc
> 6.4.2 compiled for arm/linux.

Updates:
-------

1) I turns out I only had a in-place build of ghc, I have now got a
   real build 'working'.

2) I have started putting my notes in the Wiki

I added a section to the end of this page:

http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Platforms

And started this page:

http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/ArmLinuxGhc

I will add the information about getting from an inplace .hc build to
a normal build tomorrow.

3) It would appear that the floating point problem is still a
   problem. It did not cause any compile time errors. But ghc
   generates bogus answers, the one liner:

     main = print 1.0

   prints: 5.299808824e-315

I found this thread from the last time it came up:

http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/glasgow-haskell-users/2005-January/007688.html

According to this page:

http://wiki.tcl.tk/15408

The nokia 770 uses middle endian for floating point:

http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/M/middle-endian.html

I will do more research tomorrow and see what needs to be done.

j.