Building head & numerics project

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Fri May 5 03:20:31 EDT 2006

| in general, it's too complex problem, otherwise Simons may already
work
| on it, because current ghc-generated code is, say, 3 times slower than
| it could be.

Thank you for believing in our expertise, but you should not assume that
something we have not done is necessarily very difficult.  GHC has a
huge surface area these days, so we spend a lot of time just keeping
everything working.  Then we are researchers too (e.g. Simon M is on the
ICFP program committee) -- maintaining GHC isn't even our real job.

As a result there are many not-very-hard jobs that we simply do not get
around to.  (I don't know if this is one of them, though.)

So I say an enthusiastic Yes to anyone who's willing to jump in and
start helping.  We need more people familiar with GHC's innards.