LLVM back end

Al Falloon afalloon at synopsys.com
Wed Nov 22 15:05:09 EST 2006

I have also been looking into LLVM and I wondered if this had been
looked at before.

Michael T. Richter wrote:
> I've been eyeing LLVM[1 <http://llvm.org>] as interesting technology --
snip
> step -- and couldn't help but immediately think of the possibility of
> one of the Haskell compiler projects providing an LLVM code generator.
> I think this would help in several areas:
>
>     * it could make porting the compiler to other architectures --
>       including oddball ones that would be too small to otherwise
>       support -- easier;

C is far more ubiquitous than LLVM. If GCC adopts LLVM as its back-end
then that could change, but for now, C is still the most common
"portable assembler"

>     * it could leverage some of the really interesting work that's going
>       on in optimisation technology by letting one VM's optimiser do the
>       work for any number of languages;

I am especially interested in the global optimizations for a static LLVM
program. I would be curious to see if there is any improvement in the
performance of the final executables. However, with GHC emitting the
generated C into a single file, I think that GCC is already able to
perform most of the same kinds of optimizations.

>     * it could improve interaction between source code written in
>       multiple languages.

LLVM is really low level, so you still have most of the same problems
with data representation that you have with using C as the common
language. However, there is one  advantage over C: since LLVM lets you
directly represent tail-calls you can support languages like Scheme and
Haskell that depend on recursion.

> Is this me opening up a Pandora's Box of ignorance here?  Or is LLVM
> potentially interesting?  (And were someone motivated into perhaps
> trying to make an LLVM back-end, where would one start to poke around
> in, say, the GHC codebase to even begin to implement this?  And how
> insane would they be driven by the process?)
>
> [1]http://llvm.org

After looking into it, I thought that generating the LLVM bytecode or
text representation would be much easier than trying to use the FFI to
link against the LLVM libraries.

So, I thought a good starting project would be to write a module that
lets you manipulate the LLVM representation in Haskell including reading
and writing it. From there you would be in a good starting position to
try to make GHC emit LLVM bytecode instead of C or C--.

I haven't looked at the GHC internals, but C-- and LLVM are very
similar, so I expect that writing the LLVM back-end would be a fairly
mechanical transformation of the C-- back-end.

Another nice side-benifit of an LLVM library in Haskell is that you can
use Haskell to write stand-alone optimization passes for the LLVM compiler.

--
Alan Falloon