[Haskell] Expecting more inlining for bit shifting

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Mon Oct 9 12:24:25 EDT 2006

For small functions, GHC inlines them rather readily.

For big functions GHC doesn't inline them.

For medium-sized functions, GHC looks at the arguments; if they look
interesting (e.g. are a constant) then it inlines the function.

So the behaviour you want will happen for certain settings of the
unfolding-use-threshold.  But at the moment there is no way to add a
pragma saying "inline if my second argument is a constant".  One could
imagine such a thing, but it's not there today, I'm afraid.

Simon

Graphophone