Bad control characters in GHCi 6.6 (Mac OS X PPC)

Björn Buckwalter bjorn.buckwalter at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 21:00:49 EDT 2006

On 10/16/06, Simon Marlow <simonmarhaskell at gmail.com> wrote:
> Björn Buckwalter wrote:
>
> > I downloaded the GHC 6.6 tarballs, built and installed them on my mac
> > (Tiger, PPC) using the documented procedure:
> >  ./configure
> >  make
> >  make install
> >
> > The build and install was fairly smooth. However, ghci will not
> > recognize "control characters", e.g. delete/backspace, arrow keys,
> > ctrl-a, ctrl-d et c. It seems to recognize ctrl-c for cancellin5.2g a
> > line but will print the ^C first. A typical session may look like:
>
> It sound like either you don't have readline installed, or the GHC build didn't
> detect it.  Do you have readline?  (the real GNU readline, not Apple's version).

I have GNU readline 5.1 installed through darwinports. As for the GHC
build detecting it I wouldn't know. Rerunning ./configure produces the
following lines mentioning readline (note that I have already built
and installed GHC 6.6 and have it in the path):

checking whether ghc has readline package... no
checking readline/readline.h usability... yes
checking readline/readline.h presence... yes
checking for readline/readline.h... yes
checking readline/history.h usability... yes
checking readline/history.h presence... yes
checking for readline/history.h... yes
configure: configuring in readline
checking for readline in -lreadline... yes
checking for rl_readline_version in -lreadline... no
config.status: creating readline.buildinfo
config.status: creating include/HsReadlineConfig.h
config.status: include/HsReadlineConfig.h is unchanged

I don't know what to make of the above. Thanks,

Bjorn Buckwalter