Test Suite's Dependency on Quickcheck

Brian Smith brianlsmith at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 02:17:10 EDT 2006

After further review, I can see that the test suite also requires 'network,'
'html,' and 'mtl' for all the tests to pass.

Maybe we need to separate the packages into three groups: core, tests, and
extras, where all the packages required by the test suite would get put into
the "tests" group?

Besides the dependencies on these non-core packages, there are 7 tests
(maybe a couple more) that only work on Cygwin or Unix, but fail on
MSYS/MinGW. Would you accept patches to these tests to make them run without
Cygwin on Windows?

The tests that would need to be patched are:

* cabal01 and cabal02

   Cabal is trying to execute
        ghc\compiler\stage2\ghc-inplace
   which is a shell script. Cabal expects it to be an
   executable.

* process001, process002, and process003

    These tests have "c:/cygwin/bin/ls" hard-coded
    into them, so they will fail on any system that
    doesn't have Cygwin in that exact location.

* prog001, prog002, and prog003

    These tests execute Unix commands like
    "rm," and "ls" via :shell, so they fail on
    non-Unix/non-Cygwin systems.

Tests requiring package 'QuickCheck':
    =====> SampleVar001
    =====> Chan001
    =====> MVar001
    =====> QSemN001
    =====> QSem001
    =====> bytestring001
    =====> bytestring004
    =====> bytestring005
    =====> ghci014
    =====> maessen_hashtab

Tests requiring package 'mtl':
    =====> mod133
    =====> drvfail006
    =====> drvfail008
    =====> reify
    =====> tc183
    =====> tcfail126
    =====> tree

Tests requiring package 'network' (and, transitively, package 'html'):
    =====> net001
    =====> net002
    =====> conc056
    =====> pkg02_b